Sunday, May 22, 2011

Other Uses for Clothesline



What it is: Choker-length necklace with matching earrings

Materials used: Copper wire and findings, Swarovski bicones, 12mm cubic zirconia drops, focal component, clothesline

Process: Lots and lots of wire-wrapping. I started by cutting lengths of clothesline (with heavy-duty wire cutters, don't try to use good jewelry cutters for this!) to the length I wanted the necklace to be, then wire-wrapped the ends individually and connected them using a handmade toggle-style clasp. (Hint: I tightly pinched the first couple coils so that they would grip the cord securely) Once that was in place, I wire-wrapped the main focal component into place, continuing the wire-wrapping halfway up the length of the necklace and ending in coils. Off of the main wire-wrapping I attached one of the cubic zirconia drops to create an asymmetrical feel to the piece (Actually, I just had some cubic zirconia drops leftover from another project that were begging to be used and I felt like this was a great place to throw them in, but shhhhh! I planned it this way all along!). I then wire-wrapped the top half of the necklace in a couple of places to lash the clothesline together so excess movement wouldn't distort the wire-wrapping towards the bottom. With that done, I took a smaller gauge of copper wire and that's when I added the Swarovski crystals, wire-wrapping the small gauge around the larger gauge and threading crystals as I went along to give the piece some extra sparkle. I went through a similar process for the earrings.

No comments:

Post a Comment