Monday, May 9, 2011

Revvin' up the WABAC machine!


In the interest of doing things with my life like updating this blog, I think I'm going to cheat a little and post a couple pictures of old projects while I get around to photographing more recent jewelry adventures. The subject of this photo is titled "Ourobouros" from the mythological serpent consuming its own tail signifying infinity. It was designed to be worn as a bangle bracelet, but it works better as an arm cuff. It's made entirely of copper with a liver of sulfur patina, and it was created during a semester of jewelry making and metalsmithing taught by a graduate assistant at the university I attended. I wish I could give more detail about the construction, but I'm not sure I could do better than "texturing, sawing, hammering, soldering, anticlastic raising, more hammering, swearing, more soldering, more swearing, patina, polish, finally get some sleep before the class presentation."

*Note: "WABAC" is indeed pronounced "wayback," and if you recognize that particular acronym, you've watched entirely too much Rocky and Bullwinkle.

**Extra note: This photo was not photographed by me, but rather by the university photographer that frequently photographs student artwork for the department's use. The bracelet, however, is my design and construction.

No comments:

Post a Comment